1. Extensions of Mendelian Analysis : Variations on dominance, multiple alleles, lethal alleles, several genes affecting the same character, penetrance and expressivity.
2. Linkage I: Basic Eukaryotic Chromosome Mapping : The discovery of linkage, recombination, linkage symbolism, linkage of genes on the X chromosome, linkage maps, three-point testcross, interference, linkage mapping by recombination in humans,
3. Linkage II: Special Eukaryotic Chromosome Mapping Techniques: Accurate calculation of large map distances, analysis of single meiosis, mitotic segregation and recombination, mapping human chromosomes.
4. Gene Mutation: Somatic versus germinal mutation, mutant types, the occurrence of mutations, mutation and cancer, mutagens in genetic disorder, mutation breeding. Evolutionary significance of mutation.
5. Recombination in Bacteria and their Viruses: Bacterial chromosome, bacterial conjugation, bacterial recombination and mapping the E.coli chromosome, bacterial transformation, bacteriophage genetics, transduction, mapping of bacterial chromosomes, bacterial gene transfer.
6. The Extranuclear Genome: Variegation in leaves of higher plants, cytoplasmic inheritance in fungi, extranuclear genes in chlamydomonas, mitochrondrial genes in yeast, extragenomic plasmids in eukaryotes.
7. Developmental Genetics: Gene Regulation and Differentiation, Crown gall disease in plants, cancer as a developmental genetic disease.
8. Population Genetics: Gene frequencies, conservation of gene frequencies, equilibrium, Hardy-Weinberg law, factors affecting gene equilibrium.
1. Numerical problems
i. Arrangement of genetic material:
a. Linkage and recombination.
b. Gene mapping in diploid.
c. Recombination in Fungi.
d. Recombination in bacteria.
e. Recombination in viruses.
ii. Population Genetics:
a. Gene frequencies and equilibrium.
b. Changes in gene frequencies,
2. Blood group and Rh-factor.
a. Culture technique
b. Salivary gland chromosome
4. Fungal genetics
Sacchromyces culture techniques and study.
5. Studies on variation in maize ear size and color variation.
6. Bacterial Genetics.
a. Bacterial cultural techniques, Gram staining (E. coli, B. subtilis)
Concepts of Genetics, 9th Edition
Classical Genetics, PDF
Conservation of gene frequencies
Crown Gall disease in plants
Conditions for Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium
Book Title : Genetics A Conceptual Approach
Author : Benjamin A. Pierce
Edition : 4th
Publisher : Kate Ahr Parker
Book Title : Concepts of Genetics
Author : W. S. Klug M. R. Cummings C. A. Spencer M. A. Palladino
Edition : 9th
Publisher : Pearson Benjamin Cummings