1. Definition of Group and Types of Group
2. Definition and Description of Social Group Work
3. Social Group Work as a Part of Social Work
4. History of Social Group Work
5. Types of Group in Social Group Work
Problem Solving Groups
Self Help Groups
6. Goals and Purposes of Social Group Work
Values underlying the Professional Use of the Group Work Method
Human Needs served by Social Group Work
Human Capacities strengthened by Social Group Work
7. Models of Social Group Work
Social Goals Model
8. Principles of Social Group Work
9. Functions of Social Group Work
10. Stages of Group Development
Pre affiliation Stage
11. Programs in Group Work
Meaning and Importance of Program in Group Work
Program planning and Program Development
Role of Group Worker in Program Planning
Group and Group Relations
Use of Program Media
Effective Program Development Process
12. Recording (Group Records-bases of Evaluation)
Meaning of Record in Social Group Work
The Content of the Narrative Record
The Principles of Recording
Using Process Record
13. Fields of Social Group Work
Old Age Home
Institution for Special Person
14. Role of Social Group Worker
15. Skills of Social Group Worker
Skill in analyzing the Group Situation
Skill in participation in the Group
Skill in dealing with Group FEELING
Skill in Program Development
Skill in Using Agency and Community Resources
Skill in Evaluation
16. Leadership in Social Group Work
This course will provide students with the opportunity to:
1. Become familiar with the nature, principles, function, and dynamics of various types of group.
2. Learn about the various stages of group work in Social Work Practice.
3. Inculcate skills and techniques associated with solving group problems in various situations.
4. Become familiar with the professional role of group worker.
5. Apply group work theory to individual and family problems during Social Work Practice.
Course Learning Outcomes
At the end of the course student will be able to: -
1. Identify the various types of group and the purposes and functions of each type of group.
2. Explain the different procedures for forming a group for the purpose of providing Social Welfare Services to individuals, families and communities.
3. Identify the professional codes of ethics applicable to group work.
4. Use appropriate social work techniques in group sessions for the purpose of Strengthening Human Capacities.
5. Formulate an evaluation for a group experience.
Mega assignment social group work
History of Social Group Work
History of Social Group Work
Social group Work: A Social Work method
Leadership in Group Work
Book Title : Groupwork practice in Social work
Author : Trevor Lindsay & sue Orton
Edition : 3rd Edition
Publisher : Sage
Book Title : Perspectives on Social Group Work
Author : Albert S. Alissi
Publisher : The Free Press
Book Title : Social Group Work: Competence and Values in Practice
Author : Joseph Lassner, Kathleen Powell, Elaine Finnegen
Edition : 2013
Publisher : Routledge