I. Key concepts in oceanography
II. Origin of oceans and seas
III. Major Water masses and their distribution
IV. Configuration of oceans
i. Characteristic features of the ocean basins
ii. Tectonics layers in oceanBasin,
V. Temperature, salinity/density of ocean water: distribution causes and effects
VI. Ocean floor deposits, their characteristics and classification
VII. Ocean circulation
iii. Tides, their nature, causes, effects and impact on environment
VIII. Special phenomena: storm surges; tsunamis
IX. Oceanography of Arabian Sea with special reference to Exclusive Economic Zone.
Visit to any coastal area to study the various coastal morphological features.
To make students understand about the origin of oceans, its changing physical characteristics and geomorphology of the ocean floor, so that the students have up-to-date knowledge about the physical characteristics and the resources available in the oceans.
Course Learning Outcomes
By the end of this course, the student will:
• Describe the progressions of major earth science theories, including new analytic methods, sensors, and numerical methods.
• Describe the three-dimensional distributions of temperature, salt, and momentum in the ocean and atmosphere, and explain the oceanic and atmospheric processes that control these distributions.
• Identify, construct, and analyze coupled dynamical systems by which geological, atmospheric, oceanographic, chemical, and biological processes interact throughout a range of spatial and temporal scales.
• Derive, interpret, and solve problems using the equations of motion of fluids, the continuity equation, and the equations of state for both moist and dry air, and seawater.
• Collect and manipulate oceanic, atmospheric, and geospatial data sets and rigorously analyze and interpret observational data, in situ experimental data, and model results.
This link consist of video related to Ocean basin
Ocean Currents video
Origin of Oceans and Seas
Origin of the Ocean Water
Recorded Lecture and study Material
Origin of Oceans
Why do we have oceans
Book Title : Essentials Of oceanography
Author : Alan P. Trujillo,Harold V. Thurman
Edition : 11th
Publisher : Pearson
Book Title : An Introduction to Oceanography.
Author : 4. Johnson H.
Edition : 4th
Publisher : Jones and Bartlett Publishers