Importance of radiant energy and nomenclature
(ii) Physical and Psychophysical Aspects
(a) Sources of Light:
Sun, Incandescent lamps, Fluorescent lamps, Mercury vapor lamps
Basics of radiometry, Spectrum wavelength, Frequency, Velocity, Reflection, Refraction, Absorption, Transmission, Interference
Basics of Photometry, photometric quantities, working principle of Flame-photometer, Illumination meter and units of measurement
Basic laws, Photon energy. Quantum yield, Excited states, Primary and Secondary reactions.
(iii) Phytophysical Aspects
Photosyntetic apparatus, Pigments, PSI, PSII,
Photophosphorylation, Mitchell hypothesis
Physiological and ecological consideration. Light, leaves And Photosynthesis, Photosynthetic response by intact leaves
Metabolism. PCO cycle, Oxygen effects, Carbon dioxide effects, Glycolate, Nitrogen metabolism, Energy, and Inhibitors
Structure, properties, Synthesis, purification, Interconversion, Intermediates, Dark reversion, Destruction
Cryptochrome (blue-light photoreceptor), Characteristics, Mechanism of action.
(1) To study photosynthetic parameters using IRGA
(2) To demonstrate Hill’s reaction with isolated chloroplasts
(3) Estimation of CO2 compensation point in C3 and C4 plants.
(4) To study the effects of light on non-structural carbohydrates in plants.
(5) To study the K accumulation by guard cells during stomatal opening in light.
(6) To study the role of phytochrome in germination of light sensitive seeds.
(7) To study the effect of R and FR light on plant growth.
Helping Material for Topic Photorespiration
Lecture material for Phytochromes
Helping material for lecture on cryptochromes
Book Title : Photophysiology
Author : Arthur C. Giese
Edition : 1st
Publisher : Academic Press