• Introduction, need and nature
• Sources of ethics in Pakistan society.
• Need and scope
• Ethics and media profession
• Social responsibility theory
• Islamic code of ethics
• External and internal pressures on media
• The violations of ethics in Pakistan (deadline and ethics)
• Privacy, corruption, personal interests, Obscenity etc.)
Codes of Ethics and Application
• International codes of ethics (Print, electronic and web media)
• Pakistani codes of ethics (ethical code of practice – 17 points in press council ordinance, 2002)
• PFUJ, APNS, CPNE
• Freedom of Press in Pakistan(Past and Present)
• Evolution of press laws in sub-continent and Pakistan.
• Salient features of the current press ordinances:-
1 PEMRA ordinance.
2. Press Council Ordinance
3. Press Laws: An overview
4. Defamation Ordinance
5. Copy Right Act
6.Contempt of Court Ordinance.2002
7.Code of Ethics with Western and Islamic Perspective
Course Learning Outcomes
Students will be able to:
1. Practice communication within legal boundaries by employing appropriate use of others’ work (in attribution, copyright, trade- marks, and so forth).
2. Practice communication within legal boundaries by demonstrating ability to I identify legal constraints and defenses that shape mass media messages.
3. Practice communication within legal boundaries by constructing messages that meet the laws and statutes applied to free speech.
4. Demonstrate they value freedom of speech in the marketplace of ideas by understanding the historical development of free speech.
Book Title : Media Ethics
Author : Matthew Kieran
Edition : 1998
Publisher : Routledge