I. Meaning, Nature and Scope of Local Government;
2. Difference between Local Government and Local self-government;
3. Approaches to the study of Local Government;
4. Central-Local Government Relations and its implications on
the performance of Local Institutions;
5. Kinds of transfer of powers at the local level:
Decentralization, Deconcentration and Devolution;
6. Local Government Finance;
7. Problems of Local Government in the Developing Countries.
Introduction to Local Government provides an overview of Local Government and its significant role that it plays in a democratic state. The course provides knowledge about the way Local Governments are constituted, the separation of power between the Council and the Administration, and the responsibilities of working in a compliance environment and good governance.
Course Learning Outcomes
As a result of completing this course, students will be able to understand:
• the different levels of government and why they exist
• the separation of powers and duties
• the role of Mayors, Presidents, Councilors and employees
• the impact Local Governments have on communities
• how decisions are made on what services to provide; and rates and money matters in Local Government.
I. Meanings, nature and scope of local government systems
Significance of Local Government
Functions of Local government
Role of local-government-system-in-pakistan
• Colonial heritage • Historical background • Lord Rippon reforms on 1882
Colonial heritage and evolution of local government systems in Pakistan.
• Comparative study of local government UK and Pakistan.
Book Title : Local and Regional Governments
Author : COLE, G.D.A.
Book Title : Local Self Government in Pakistan
Author : Syed Abdul Qudoos
Book Title : Punjab local Government laws
Author : Hamidudin.
Book Title : The Foundations of Local Government in Pakistan, India and Burma
Author : H.Tinker.