• The Concept of HRM: Introduction, Philosophy of HRM, Underpinning Theories of HRM, Goals, Characteristics and Diversity of HRM.
• The Concept of Strategy: Introduction, Development of the concept of Strategy, Nature, Formulation and Implementation of Strategy.
• The Concept of Strategic Human Resource Management: Introduction, Nature of SHRM, Strategic Fit, Resource-Based View of Strategic HRM, Perspective on SHRM, Best Practice Approach, Best Fit Approach
• The Strategic Role of HR: Introduction, Strategic Role of; HR Practitioners, HR Directors, Heads of HR Functions, HR Business Partners.
• The Impact of Strategic HRM: Introduction, the Concept of Performance, How Strategic HRM makes an Impact.
• Strategic HRM in action: Introduction, Formulating HR Strategy, Philosophy on Managing People, Corporate Issues, Achieving Integration.
• The Framework of HR Strategy: Introduction, What are the HR Strategies? What is the Purpose of HR Strategies? The Nature of HR Strategies, Types of HR Strategies, Evaluating HR Strategy, Developing HR Strategies, Implementing HR Strategies.
• Human Capital Management Strategy: Introduction, Aims of Human Capital Management, Role of Human Capital Management Strategy, Link between Human Capital Management and Business strategy, Developing a Human Capital Management Strategy.
• Corporate Social Responsibility Strategy: Introduction, Corporate Social Responsibility Defined, Rationale for Corporate Social Responsibility, Strategic Corporate Social Responsibility defined, Corporate Social Responsibility Activities, Role of HR, Developing a Corporate Social Responsibility Strategy.
• Knowledge Management Strategy: Introduction, Process of Knowledge Management, Sources and Types of Knowledge, Approaches to the Development of Knowledge Management Strategies, Strategic Knowledge Management Issues, Components of Knowledge Management Strategy.
Students are supposed to submit a final term project. The project will comprise of following components:
• Form a fictitious Organization
• Develop a strategic plan
• Make an analysis of internal and external environment
• Draw HR policies
• Make alignment of strategic planning with HR policies
Note: All documents must be supported with authenticated reference.
Many managers and organizations now recognize that a critical source of competitive advantage often comes not from having the most ingenious product design, the best marketing strategy, or the most state-of-the-art production technology, but rather from having an effective system for obtaining, mobilizing, and managing the organization’s human assets. A number of recent developments, including demographic changes in the labor force, increased global competition, experiments with new organizational arrangements, and public policy attention to work force issues have made human resource management increasingly important for organizations.
Although many managers and organizations recognize the importance of managing the work force effectively and even "know" what effective approaches are, it is remarkable how frequently firms fail to implement effective human resource management analysis and practices.
Course Learning Outcomes
The students should be able to:
• Understand the origin and evolution of the field of strategic human resource management (SHRM).
• Understand the importance of SHRM in context of the overall organizational strategy.
• Comprehend the competing SHRM viewpoints and issues related to its practical application.
• To think systematically and strategically about aspects of managing the organization's human assets
• To understand what really needs to be done to implement these policies and to achieve competitive advantage through people.
• Evaluate the contemporary system of SHRM and its significance in the modern 1organizations.
• Evaluate the nature and contributions of SHRM in in different contexts for better understanding and overall organizational performances.
The Concept of HRM
The Concept of Strategy
The Concept of Strategic Human Resource Management
The Concept of Strategic Human Resource Management 1
The Strategic Role of HR
The Impact of Strategic HRM
Human Capital Management Strategy
Human Capital Management Strategy 1
Corporate social responsibility strategy
Knowledge Management strategy
The framework of HR strategy
The framework of HR strategy1
The framework of HR strategy 2
Book Title : Armstrong’s Handbook of Strategic Human Resource Management
Author : Micheal Armstrong
Edition : Latest Edition
Publisher : Kogan Page Publishers
Book Title : Strategic Human Resource Management
Author : Alan Nankervis, Robert Compton & Marian Braid
Edition : Latest Edition
Publisher : Nelson Thomson Learning, 2001