• Introduction to organization development: Organization development defined, Growth and relevance of organization development, Short history of organization development, Evolution in organization development, Role of the organizational development (OD) practitioner
• The nature of planned change: Cultural change, Theories of planned change, General model of planned change, Different types of planned change, Critique of planned change, Resistance to change
• Diagnosis Process: Diagnosis defined, Diagnosis process.
• Designing interventions: What are effective interventions, How to design effective interventions, Types of interventions, OD intervention strategies
• Interpersonal and group process approaches: Process consultation, third-party interventions, team building, empowerment and interpersonal interventions
• Structural Interventions- restructuring organizations: Structural Design, Downsizing, Reengineering, employee involvement, work design: The Engineering Approach, The Motivational Approach, The Sociotechnical Systems Approach
• Human Resource Management Interventions: Goal Setting, Rewards Systems, managing workforce diversity, employee wellness interventions
• Strategic Change Interventions –transformational change: Transformational Change, Integrated Strategic Change, Culture Change.
Students are required to:
• Select an organization which has undergone changes in its business/operations/structure, or any aspect of change studied during the course
• Analyze the organization with help of PEST Analysis/Porter’s model.
• What changes were undertaken and why?
• What strategies/model it adopted for the change process?
• What are the positive or negative outcomes of change initiative?
• What conclusion and recommendations would students deduce about the selected change initiative in light of coursework?
This course treats the contemporary theory and practice of organization development while also focusing on organizational culture. Organizations face many challenges and pressures, the most significant of which is survival and survival requires constant adaptation, innovation and change. This course offers insights and applications pertinent to organizations around the globe. The course examines the organization development process, including intervention strategies, and the role of organization development in creating the changes that improve individuals, teams, and organizations. This is a practical course that addresses the issues, basic theories and methods associated with organizational change and development in contemporary organizations.
Course Learning Outcomes
After completion of course students will:
• Understand the role of organization development in anticipating and effecting change in organizations.
• Understand and make use of OD as a diagnostic and intervention process, particularly in terms of the roles and styles of the OD practitioner.
• Examine the use of the OD process in developing excellence in individuals in a real organization.
• Examine the use of the OD process in developing high performance teams in a real organization.
• Compose an OD diagnostic (and potentially also implementation) report based upon experience with a real organization.
The challenges for Organizations
OD: A Unique Change Strategy
“Ideal” Effective, Healthy Organizations
The Evolution of OD - I
The Evolution of OD - II
The Organization Culture
The Nature of Planned Change
General Model of Planned Change
Creating a Climate for Change
Diagnosing Organizations - I
Diagnosing Organizations - II
Collecting and Analyzing Diagnostic Information - I
Collecting and Analyzing Diagnostic Information - II
Leading and Managing Change - I
Leading and Managing Change - II
Evaluating and Institutionalizing Organization Development Interventions - I
Evaluating and Institutionalizing Organization Development Interventions - II
Interpersonal and Group Process Approaches
Interpersonal and Group Process Approaches II
Interpersonal and Group Process Approaches III
Restructuring Organizations I
Human Resource Management Interventions
Human Resource Management Interventions I
Human Resource Management Interventions II
Human Resource Management Interventions III
Book Title : Organization Development and Change
Author : Thomas G. Cummings/Christopher G. Worley
Edition : Latest
Publisher : Cengage Learning
Book Title : Organization development and change
Author : Cummings, T. G. & Worley, C. G.
Edition : Latest
Publisher : South-Western Cengage Learning
Title : Chapter presentation
Type : Presentation
View Chapter presentation
Title : Book
Type : Curriculum Book