Introduction to occupational health and safety. Common work place hazards: Biological, chemical, mechanical, physical and psychological hazards and their effects on worker’s health. Noise at work. Manual handling. Ergonomics: Introduction, Basic ergonomic principles. Cumulative trauma disorder (CTD). Male and female reproductive health hazards at the work place. Health and safety for women and children. Methods of control: Elimination, Substitution, Engineering controls, Administrative controls, Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), other methods of control. Emergency response procedures. Legislation related to health and safety at work, ILO standards. Role of health and safety representatives and labour union at work. Occupational health and safety in Pakistan.
1. To identify, differentiate and prepare a list of Occupational, Health, Safety and Environmental Hazards at three selected workplace sites.
2. To prepare the Hazard Data Sheet of different chemicals.
3. To conduct a detail study on First Aid Kit.
4. To study different types of Fire Extinguishers and their use.
5. To study and prepare different methodologies for conducting OHS studies (Questionnaire, Checklist, Survey).
6. To prepare a list of chemicals used in Environmental Science Laboratories.
7. To establish Management Plan for chemicals storage and use in Environmental Science Laboratories.
8. Study and identification of Ergonomic Hazards in University Classes and computer Laboratories.
Male and female reproductive health hazards in the workplace
Control of workplace hazards
Occupational health and safety in Pakistan
Common workplace hazards
Noise at work
Ergonomics, Introduction, Basic ergonomic principles
10 principles of Ergonomics
Handbook of Occupational health and safety (2019)
Basic principles of ergonomics
Book Title : Changing the Workplace Safety Culture
Author : Ron C. McKinnon
Edition : 1st
Publisher : CRC Press. UK