• Introduction of the subject-Ergonomics
– Body measurements.2, Disorders, Ergonomics in Society and Space – Body measurements, with some posture.
– Domains of Ergonomics – The brief historical background of the subject
– Branches of Ergonomics – The brief discussion on its application in Interior Design, Workplace Design and industrial Products
– Work in Restricted Space.
– Biomechanical description of the body - Effect of Color and Texture on Human Brain - Space Design, Space and Senses and Principals
- How does the mind works - Mental work load - Space Design to enhance performance in a Work Space (Office and Industry Design)
- Designing for Standing Posture. - Space Standards and TSS Introduction
- Time Saver Standards-1 - Body and surrounding environment - Effect of temperature, light, color, vibrations, and various sounds on the environment and people.
– How to Design to fit Body Postures – Designing for sitting posture. – Designing for standing posture – Designing for working posture, other than sitting and standing. – Designing for Vision – Assignment on IT office Space Requirements
– Different Examples of Ergonomics Products, such as Ergonomics Chair. – Library Ergonomics – Designing Office Space – Workplace Design – History and Importance – Office space Requirements and Essential Time Scale Standards
– Designing Office Space – Office space Requirements and Essential Time Scale Standards
– Ergonomic Workstation Guidelines – Industry Set ups, office Spaces, Packaging factories etc.
– Efficiency and Workplace relation – Space and relation with the Worker and their task – Safety, Healthy Measure in Space Design – and essentials for Design
To introduce students with the basic concepts of Ergonomics.
o To give them the historical background of the subject, its branches, components and different methodologies.
o To introduce them with the grounds of Anthropocentric- the technical data of human physical measurements.
o To make them understand with the basics of Bio mechanics, a very prominent component of the subject.
o To make them understand, how to improve the efficiency, productivity, and safety, with the help of ergonomic product design.
o To make them familiar with the practical application of the subject with respect to the design of Furniture, Space, Workstations through field trips and practical assignments
Course Learning Outcomes
The Students will learn the relationship of Human with the machine/space they use, the environment the work in. They will study the TSS e.g. Time Scale Standards for work places of industry, office and other working environment used globally. This will help students to apply the basic study in their practical field. Students will Recognize, analyze and tackle a given problem using the problem-solving methodologies in a design process and gain an understanding of cross-disciplinary concepts of Human Factors Ergonomics
Ergonomics and Design
Ergonomics and Design
Book Title : TIME SAVER STANDARDS FOR INTERIOR DESIGN AND SPACE PLANNING
Author : JOSEPH DI CHIARA, JULIUS PANRO, MARTIN ZELNIK
Edition : 1992
Publisher : Mc-Graw Hill