• Introduction to Business: Nature and Scope of Business, importance and characteristics of business, criticism of business, scope of business or components of business, Types of industry, functions of a modern business, distinction between trade, commerce and industry.
• Forms of Business Organizations in Pakistan: Business organization, nature and scope, Legal Forms of Business Ownership: Sole proprietorship, Partnership, Joint Stock Company
• Types of organizations in Pakistan: Public organizations, Private organizations, Semi Government organizations, Public private partnership, Non-Government organizations etc
• Government in Pakistan: Legislature, Executive and Judiciary
• Corporate Governance and the Banking Sector in Pakistan: Definition of Corporate Governance, Developed versus Developing countries,Brief introduction to the banking sector of Pakistan
• Corporate Social Responsibility: Theory and practice, Business ethics and decision making, Business in Politics, CSR in Pakistan
• Impact of Government on Business: Government Interaction, Different roles of government in economy, State intervention in a Developing Economy, Role of Government in limiting Corporate Power, Case Study in Pakistan’s perspective
• Globalization and role of Government: Regulation of business, Multinational corporations, Industrial pollution and environmental policy, Managing environmental quality
• Characteristics of Pakistani Society: Classification based on economic and cast system, features of Pakistani society
• Role of government in society: Main elements of government’s public policy process and its impact on masses,Civil society in Pakistan
• Interaction between Government and the Public: Public Administration Perspectives on the Public, The Role of `Exit' and `Voice', Social Capital and Participation.
This course will provide students with conceptual and practical tools that they can use to examine the role of business in society, to explore the ways in which public policy shapes and constrains business decision-making and to understand the social and ethical responsibilities of business. The course will also introduce students to the political, social, regulatory, environmental and technological challenges facing businesses and the impact of the institutional diversity of organizations.
Course Learning Outcomes
At the end of this course, the students will be:
• Having concepts and practical tools to examine the role of business in country
• Knowledgeable about the institutional environment of business as well as public organizations in Pakistan
• Able to analyze how governmental can influence business in Pakistan
• Having a clear idea about the state of society in Pakistan.
The role of ‘Exit’ and ‘Voice’
Public, Private and NGOs
Public, Private and NGOs
New Public Management Concept
Introduction to Business
Forms of Business Organizations in Pakistan
Types of Organizations in Pakistan
Corporate Governance and Banking sector in Pakistan
Characteristic of a Pakistani Society
Corporate Social Responsibility
Globalization and Role of Government
Role of Government in a Society
The Impact of Government on Business
Interaction between government and the public
Book Title : Public Administration: Understanding, Management, Politics, and Law in the Public Sector
Author : Rosenbloom, David H., Kravchuk, Robert S. and Clerkin, Richard M.
Edition : Seventh
Publisher : New York: McGrew Hill.
Book Title : Corporate Governance:Principles, Policies and Practices
Author : A.C. Fernando
Edition : 2nd Edition
Publisher : Pearson Education
Book Title : Introduction to Business
Author : M. Saeed Nasir
Edition : Latest Edition
Publisher : Imtiaz Publishers