• Public Policy: Nature, scope and significance----Introduction, concept of public and policy, Nature and scope of public policy analysis, Public administration and policy outcomes, why study public policy.
• Study and practice of public policy: Public policy as applied science, rationality and policy process.
• Historical and structural context of public policy making: Historical development of public policy, policy restraint and barriers to change.
• Official actors and their role in public policy: Legislature, judiciary, executive.
• Unofficial actors and their roles in public policy: Citizens, interest groups, political parties, think tanks, media, sub governments, issue networks and domains.
• Agenda settings, power and interest groups: Political power, groups and power in public policy, social construction of problems and issues.
• Policies and policy types: Forms and types of policies, public versus private goods.
• Policy design and policy tools: Preparing to design policies, policy tools, types and categories.
• Policy implementation: Approaches to study of implementation.
• Policy evaluation: How to evaluate different types of policies.
• Policy failure: Why policies fail? Learning from failed policies.
• Models of public policy: Systems model, rational comprehensive model, incrementalism, bounded rationality, recent and other models of policy process.
• Development of Public Policy in Pakistan: Related articles from constitution of Pakistan
• Review of selected National Policies of Pakistan: Identifying Official, Unofficial actors and evaluation.
The purpose of this course is to make available the information regarding how public policy is made within the political system, how institutions and processes function to grip demands generated in the environment and how legislators, political actors and other bodies behave in policy making process.
Course Learning Outcomes
After studying this course the students should be able to:
• Know what public policy is, how it is formed, implemented and evaluated .
• Moreover, students will have a keen insight into public policy process with reference to Pakistan.
Public Policy Definition
why study Public Policy?
why study Public Policy 2?
why study Public Policy 3?
Public Policy and Public Administration
Stages of Policy Cycle
Stages of Policy Cycle 2
Critique of Policy Cycle Model
Public Policy Analysis:Example
Public Policy Analysis:Example 2
Origin and history of public policy
Book Title : An Introduction to the Policy Process: Theories, Concepts, and Models of Public Policy Making
Author : Thomas. A. Birkland, M.E. Sharpe
Edition : Latest
Publisher : M.E. Sharpe, 2001
Book Title : Handbook of Public Policy Analysis: Theory, Politics, and Methods
Author : Frank Fischer, Gerald J. Miller
Edition : Latest
Publisher : CRC Press