• Importance of Effective Business Communication: components of communication, concepts and problems of communication, nonverbal communication
• The Seven C’s of Effective Communication: completeness, conciseness, consideration, concreteness, clarity, courtesy, and correctness.
• The Process of Preparing Effective Business Messages: planning steps, basic organizational plans, beginning and ending, composing the message, the appearance and design of business messages: business letters, Memorandums, good news message and bad news message.
• Essential and Non-Essential Parts of Business Letters. Styles of letter writing.
• Short Reports: informational Memorandum reports, analytical memorandum reports and letter reports – informational and analytical
• Long Formal Reports: Prefatory sections, supplemental sections, presentation of the long report, proposals
• Credit Refusal and Collection Letters: Organizational plan, analysis of example letters and practice (class work and homework)
• Persuasive Letters/Memo: Persuasive letters/Memo, Organizational Plan, AIDA analysis of examples letters and practice (Class work and homework)
• Sales Letter: Sales Letters, Organizational plan, analysis of example letters and practice (Class work and homework)
• Strategies for Successful Speaking and Successful Listening: improving oral presentation, strategies for successful informative and persuasive speaking.
• The Job Application Process- the written job Presentation: self-assessment, market assessment, Resume, cover letter to Resume. Interviews and follow-up: successful preparation for the job interview, successful follow up message after the interview, successful negotiation.
The objective of the course is to equip students with skills that will enable them to communicate clearly and concisely in diverse organizational situations. The course will emphasize on determining objectives and on developing a logical argument before presenting the message in an appropriate format. The course has two components: written and oral communication. Written communication will cover planning, structure, and stylistic issues. Specifically, students learn to write memos and letters, proposals, short and long reports, procedure and policy documents. The oral communication section will cover planning and execution of effective presentations, group behavior, and planning.
Course Learning Outcomes
This course will help students to:
• Use English skills competently, accurately and appropriately in a variety of organizational communication scenarios.
• Understand the principles of business communication, and be able to use the most suitable medium in given situations.
• Identify the most common barriers to successful communication and how they can be overcome.
3.7Cs of Business Communication
3. Resume and Cover Letter
1. 7Cs of Business Communication
2.7Cs of Business Communication
The process of preparing effective business messages
III:The appearance and design of business messages
I:The appearance and design of business messages
II:The appearance and design of business messages(continued)
Long formal reports
Strategies for successful speaking and successful listening.
2. Resume and Cover Letter
1.Resume and Cover Letter
Job application process
How effective business message is prepared
Persuasive Business Message
Book Title : Effective Business Communications
Author : Herta A. Murphy, Herbert W. Hildebrandt
Edition : 7th edition
Publisher : McGraw-Hill Companies
Book Title : Effective Business Writing
Author : Maryann V. Piotrowski
Edition : 2nd Edition
Publisher : Harpercollins, 1993
Book Title : The Business Style Handbook
Author : Helen Cunningham, Brenda Greene
Edition : Second Edition
Publisher : McGraw-Hill