1. Recombinant DNA: Recombinant DNA Technology – Introduction, Basic Techniques, PCR and Rt PCR, Restriction enzymes, Plasmids, Bacteriophages as tools, the formation of recombinant DNA, recombinant DNA methodology, recombinant DNA and social responsibility, Site directed Mutagenesis, DNA sequencing.
2. Application of Recombinant DNA: Applications of recombinant DNA technology using prokaryotes, recombinant DNA technology in ukaryotes: An overview, transgenic yeast, transgenic plants, transgenic animals, screening for genetic diseases, identifying disease genes, DNA typing, gene therapy, genetically modified organisms and apprehensions.
3. Control of Gene Expression: Discovery of the lac system: negative control, catabolite repression of the lac operon: positive control, transcription: gene regulation in eukaryotes - an overview.
4. Mechanisms of Genetic Change I: Gene Mutation: The molecular basis of gene mutations, spontaneous mutations, induced mutations, reversion analysis mutagens and carcinogens, biological repairmmechanisms.
5. Mechanisms of Genetic Change II: Recombination: General homologous recombination, the holiday model, enzymatic mechanism of recombination, site-specific recombination, recombination and chromosomal rearrangements.
6. Mechanisms of Genetic Change III: Transposable Genetic Elements: Insertion sequences, transposons, rearrangements mediated by transposable elements, review of transposable elements in mprokaryotes, controlling elements in maize.
7. Human Genome Project: Strategies and application, achievement and future prospects.
8. Plant Genome Projects: Arabidopsis, achievement and future prospects. Other plant genome projects
9. Bioethics: Moral, Religious and ethical concerns
1 Problems relating to the theory
2 Isolation and separation of DNA and protein on Gel electrophoresis.
i) Bacterial chromosome
ii) Plasmid DNA (minipreps)
iii) Plant DNA
3 DNA Amplification by PCR
Introduction to RDT
Basic techniques of RDT
Bacteriophages as vectors
DRT and Social respinsibility
Site Directed Mutagenesis
No Information Yet