1. To enable the students to have a better insight into the concepts and effects of media on individual and society.
2. To familiarize the student with various concepts underlying mass communication theories and models and their evolution.
3. To strengthen the theoretical knowledge in tradition of Mass communication,
4. to develop a critical thinking about different approaches of mass communication and enable them to analyze critically by assigning various activities about application of theories.
• Meanings, objectives, characteristics and significance of theory.
• Relationship between communication theory and mass media research.
• Concept of one way and two way flow of information.
• Normative Media Theories.
• Mass media effect Approach
• Powerful Media effects (Magic bullet theory)
• Limited media effects(theories of selective influences)
• Cultivation Theory
• Uses and Gratification theory
• Knowledge Gap Hypothesis
• Media Determinism
• Opinion Formation, Spiral of silence
• Social Learning Theory
• Social Realities vs Mediated Realities
• Agenda setting, Framing, Priming and Gate keeping.
This course will critically examine the theories that underpin development of the key areas of mass communication. By taking a critical/reflective approach to learning through lectures, seminar presentations and discussions, the course hopes to convey content and perspectives that go against the grain by being, counter-intuitive and critically informed what mass media do, why, how, and with what impact and implications.
Ultimately, the course seeks to develop and enhance students’ understanding and interpretation of communication theories as well as their ability to apply these theories to their own research inquiries and endeavours.
Course Learning Outcomes
Students will be familiar with
• previous researches in the field of communication theories and will understand Communication at various levels and its complexities in society.
• To adopt different media theories in research methodology and designing messages.
• To identify and investigate the major theories in the various branches of communication studies.
• Use communication theories appropriately to understand and/or explain communication phenomenon.
Understand the historical development of media theories and how they link with historically important social, political and technological events/issues in the field of mass communication.
Develop an understanding of the strengths and limitations of basic theories of mass communication and the ability to apply those theories in research and practice.
Comprehend how mass communication theories are accepted throughout society.
Discover that mass communication is often at the centre of how we perceive “truth “ and “reality”
Critically evaluate theories as applied to practical mass communication problems
No Information Yet
Book Title : Mass Communication Theory: Foundations, Ferment, and Future
Author : Stanely J. Baran; Dennis K. Davis
Edition : 6th
Publisher : Wadsworth, Cengage Learning