This course is an extension of practical journalism – I that is designed to introduce the editing skills for newspapers and magazines. It will also cover new trends in newspaper design that will equip the students with the latest skills of page making and editing.
It comprises of two sections i.e. Editing and Newspapers Page making and Specialized writing
1. Editing and Newspapers Layout, Photo editing
• Introduction, Importance, and Process of Sub-Editing.
• Concept of Gate Keeping and Framing.
• Functions and Qualifications of Sub-Editor.
• Headlines: Techniques and types; new trends in headlines.
• Make-up: technique and types; new trends in make-up.
• Radio and TV monitoring; importance and techniques
• Pictorial display; importance, techniques of picture editing and caption writing.
• Rewriting press release and handouts.
• Translation; techniques and rewriting news.
• Usage of computer in editing process, computerized page make-up.
• Journalistic terminology.
• Photo editing.
2. Specialized Writing
• Editorial Definition, Importance, Functions.
• Study of Editorial Pages of Leading National Dailies.
• Current Trends in Editorials
• Writing Practice
• Feature articles: Definitions, Importance, and Types.
• Difference between feature and other Journalistic Writings.
• Current Trends in Feature Writing.
• Marketing the features
• Writing Practice
• Definition, Importance, and Types.
• Current Trends in Column Writing.
• Review: Writing Reviews for Books, TV, Film and Radio
Practice: Adobe Photoshop, practical exercises(at least 10) and Picture scanning
This course is designed to equip the future media professionals with techniques of Sub editing.The subject is made part of of the syllabus,keeping in view the need and significance of editing,as being integral part of both print and electronic media.As the course is related to the practical aspect of journalism,teaching methodology will focus more on practice beside providing theoratical understanding of the subject.Students will be provided with creeds to edit,translate and re write the news stories.Significance of Headlines , both in highlighting news values and significance of news and newspaper layout makes it essential for students to get a grip over the skill .An introduction to the latest trends in headline writing and its practice will enable the students to identify different styles of headlines used by media houses as well as to critically evaluate their usage .In hand experience of different softwares for editing, scanning and page making
Course Learning Outcomes
After studying the course the prospective students should be proficient at:
The basics of news writing, news translation and art of proof reading.
Making headlines for news stories.
Design lay out of newspaper.
About the Contents of Editorial Page in Newspaper
Exploring Journalism and the Media By Lorrie Lynch (Its a Book Free E copy is available on Google Books Pasting the link also)
Editorial Writing (Techniques)
Editorial writing Structure & examples (sample)
Editorial writing Samples for further practice
Feature Writing Techniques
Column Writing: Structure and Techniques
Book Title : Introduction to Journalism: Student Activities Books
Author : Dianne Smith, MJE
Edition : Third
Publisher : Douglas Lord Matthews