Introduction to Samuel Beckett as an Absurd Playwright Special discussion on Absurd Theatre and the major Absurd Playwrights.
Text Study of Waiting For Godot.
Significance of Title
A detailed discussion on theme of meaninglessness of Human Existence
• Text study
Features of Absurd Theatre, Themes, setting, Characters symbols
Discussion on major Characters with reference to their absurdity of existence.
Allocation of Assignment and presentation topics
Detailed discussion on Nihilism and its implementation in the play. Discussion on dialogue and language
Introduction to Harold Pinter, his life works, existentialist themes in his works. introducing caretaker, Historical context of play
Text study of The Caretaker
Discussion on title.
Introduction of the Theatre of Menace . themes, setting, language
Detailed discussion on “Theatre of Menace” and “Comedy of Menace”. Symbols, and language
Discussion on Major characters and their specific roles.
Detailed analysis of the character of Davies as a tramp figure.
Detailed analysis of the character of Mick as a representative of “Theatre of Menace”
Comparison and contrast of The caretaker and waiting for Godot
Introduction to Henrik Ibsen, his life and works 9father of modern drama, modern drama and its definition and its social significance
Special focus on the Title of the play.
Introduction to the play The Doll’s House., background and real life basis
Discussion on the use of irony especially Dramatic Irony in the play
Special discussion the Patriarchal System and Women subjugated by the Males. Special discussion on the character of Torvald Helmer as a Patriarch. Symbols, setting and plot .
Discussion on the term feminism and character analysis of Nora, gender and family roles
Feminism and Play’s bold ending Nora’s bold step of slamming the door towards Patriarchal System .
Course Learning Outcomes
• To understand the historical background of Modern drama.
• To learn new approaches in 20th century Modern Drama.
• To know about various trends in modern drama contrary to classical drama
• insight into modern Drama and modern thematic and stylistic trends in drama
• to make the students familiarize with modern trends in drama such as Absurd drama, Existentialist Theatre and Feminist Literary Writings
• To familiarize modern dramatist’s experimentation with the constituent elements of drama such as plot, characterization, language, stage directions, dialogues, conflict.
No Information Yet
No Information Yet