• Introduction of 17th century literature and its socio political context. Introduction of John Milton as Puritan Poet , his life and works. Introduction of Paradise Lost and its context • Thematic and stylistic analysis ofhis poetry. Discussion on art of characterization (Satan ) and mythological references in his poetry. Reading of text of paradise Lost book 1 • Milton attitude towards Religion, liberty, freedom, authority, etc Reading of textual lines • Discussion on the hero of Paradise Lost, Milton, Satan God or Adam along with reading of lines • Discussion on Paradise Lost as Epic , its sublime theme, character, diction, imagery etc • Criticism and analysis of themes in paradise Book 9 . Reading of lines and its critical analysis • Reading of lines of Book 9 and critical thematic and Stylistic analysis of symbols, imagery and diction • Complete Text Of Book 1 and 9 and thorough criticism on every aspects of both books • Introduction of John Donne and his metaphysical poetry. Characteristics of metaphysical poetry and charges against it. Reading of love poems Lovers infinetenesse, The Anniverserie Thou Hast Made Me • Thematic and stylistic analysis of his love poetry with reference to imagery symbols and conceits“The Good Morrow” “Song, goe, and catch a falling star” and “The Sunne rising” • Thematic and stylistic analysis of his religious poetry “Aire and angels”, “The Extasie” , “The Relique” “At the round earth’s Imagind Cornerg”, “Death be not proud” “Better my Heart, three person’s God” • Introducing Alexander Pope as poet and Satirist his life and works • Thematic and stylistic analysis of rape of the Lock exhibiting characteristic and literary tendencies of his age . reading of textual lines • Rape of the Lock as Mock Epic. reading and critical analysis of poem pic • Rape of Lock, a product of neo classicism.
This course focuses on a genre specific historical development till 18th century. The connection between human imaginations is very deep, and the suggested selection offers some examples of the expression of personal feelings and idea. These poems can be studied as refined commentary on the aesthetics concerns related to poetry and its types. Moreover it traces the development of English poetry in the contexts of socio political backgrounds.
Course Learning Outcomes
• To develop understanding of Socio Political background of development of English Poetry
• To develop comprehension of English poetry and its types from 14th to 18th century
• To analyze poetic works of John Milton, John Donne, and Alexander Pope
• To differentiate poetical theme and stylistic devices abovementioned poets
No Information Yet
No Information Yet