• Market survey to a local designer’s boutique/ outlet: Market Survey Report
• Apparel: Industrial Repeatable Design: key, mapping, graph drafting, repeated design poster colors.
• Design Repeats: Square/Half drop/ Mirror/ Turn over/ Side/ Directional/ multi-directional etc.
• Latch work/ Hooking: Sample book and Project
• Fabric Manipulation Techniques: Sample book and Project: tearing, stump work, scrunching, pleating, tucking, gathering, pulling, padding, quilting, trapping and re-piecing.
• Embroidery and Appliques other textile surfaces: Sample book and Project
• Off- Loom Weaving
• Felting and Embroidery: Sample book and Project
• Textile Lights Designs: Lamps
• Textile Furniture: sketching, on-scale drawing, rendering, proto-type and product development.
• The course will provide an opportunity to learn the basics of surface design. It is designed to develop keen observation and sharpen the ability to analyse and represent images, ideas and concepts through visual presentations.
• Introduction to all textile design rendering techniques: Basic repeats, colour options, design options and printing techniques will be explored.
• Storyboard formation from basic categories of textile print design. Categories of textile design: Geometric, floral, conversational and ethnic, color theory in relation with seasonal consideration timing, trends and charges.
• Design development from storyboard for apparel market; home fashion market, collection coordinates and information to computers
• Making of Textile Swatch Book or Pattern Book
• Textile designers and Brands: report, survey, design
• Students will learn to critique work through presentations, which sharpens their interpersonal skills.
Course Learning Outcomes
• Develops practical skills in design and manipulation of textiles through the use of appropriate technologies
• A student describes the elements and principles of design and uses them in a variety of applications
• Identifies the functional and aesthetic requirements and features of a range of textile items
• Communicates design concepts and manufacturing specifications to both technical and non-technical audiences
• Analyses the influence of historical, cultural and contemporary developments on textiles
It is a studio class/lecture/seminar/visit or a combination of all.
Market survey and visit to the industrial units. Students develop mini projects related textile assignments.
Introduction how to do applique
Market analysis of Pakistan
different types of rug making
textile sculpture artists
Book Title : . Printed Textile Design
Author : Briggs- Goode, Amanda
Edition : 2013
Publisher : . London: Laurence King publishing
Book Title : Textile Designs: 200 Years of Patterns for Printed Fabrics arranged by Motifs, Colour, Period and Design. 183 Illustrations in color. London: Thames and Hudson, 1995.
Author : . Meller, Susan, Joost Elffers, David Frankel
Edition : 1995
Publisher : New York: Dover Publications.